(NOTE: This is support information that was originally provided on Symantec's website. The information is provided without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk.)
Errors regarding 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem
After installing Norton AntiVirus 2000 or 2001 under Windows NT/2000, you see error messages regarding corrupted 16-bit subsystems, such as the following:
- 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem <path> <file name>. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed DLL initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Choices are Close or Ignore.
- 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem <path> SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
Choices are Close or Ignore.
In some cases, clicking Ignore enables the program to run correctly, but the error message continues to appear when 16-bit programs run.
This problem is being investigated. According to Microsoft technical support, these errors are linked to the following registry key:
This key has an VDD binary value that points to:
If the VDD binary value is removed, then the 16-bit subsystem returns to normal and is functional.
You must follow the instructions in both sections, and you must remove the VDD binary value first.
To remove the VDD binary value:
CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you back up the system registry before making any changes. Incorrect changes to the registry could result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Please make sure you modify only the keys specified. See the document How to Back Up the Windows 95/98/NT Registry before proceeding
2. When the Download dialog box appears, choose to download the file Sevinst.exe to a folder on the hard drive, for example, C:\Download.
3. Allow the download to complete.
4. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
5. Click Browse, browse to and select the Sevinst.exe file that you downloaded.
6. Click Open. The path and command for Sevinst.exe will appear in the Open box, for example: C:\Download\Sevinst.exe.
7. Click the Open box to select it, and then press the End key. This places the cursor to the right of the file name.
8. Press the spacebar, and then type: -navnt
9. When done, the text in the Open box should appear similar to:
"C:\Download Folder\Sevinst.exe" -navnt
10. Click OK.
11. Restart the computer.